Friday, June 14, 2013

Around the Block

As I continued to learn more about quilting from watching the videos from Craftsy's Block of The Month 2012 class, I was introduced to the wonky log cabin pattern.  There was something about this pattern that called out to me, so I decided to give it a try.  My friend and fellow day-care mother, Leah, was expecting a little boy and I wanted to do something special for her.  She and her family have become wonderful friends to our family and I wanted her to know how much we appreciated  her friendship.  

For this quilt, I found a fun jelly roll online...I'm not even sure of the fabric collection's name.  I took each strip and cut them down to different widths.  As I started piecing the blocks together, I realized that this was going to be more tedious than I had originally thought.  I'm a stickler about pressing my seam immediately after I sew one, so there was lots of sewing and stopping to press.  I had to keep reminding myself that patience is a virtue and that ALL the steps would be worth it when I finished the quilt.  I sewed a thick border around each block of a solid color.  I then took my 12.5 inch square template and skewed it to give each block an even wonkier look when I trimmed them up.  I hand-quilted this quilt by following the squares around the block.  I just started in the middle and worked my way outwards.  It's a little easier to see the pattern on the back of the quilt.  Again, I hand-appliqued the baby's initial on the back of the quilt.  I was really pleased to see how well it all came together, but it might be awhile before I make another wonky log cabin.  Maybe I'll try a regular log cabin next time...







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...