Saturday, June 22, 2013

Wild Rugby Stripes

If you haven't noticed by now, most of the quilts I make are all for babies.  In reality, it's a gift that celebrates an addition to a family and I wanted to continue that with this next quilt. 

For the past 4 years, I've had a front row seat in witnessing Charlie and Camille's family grow in non-traditional ways.   This family has faced many struggles as they tried to figure out what "family" looks like and they have reached beyond what most people would ever feel comfortable doing.  Camille (the mom), a very passionate and avid blogger of the non-quilting variety, can be found at Embracing the Odyssey.  She has helped to open my eyes in ways that my small little world had never imagined and family has an entirely different meaning than it used to.  They are an amazing couple who have open up their home in amazing ways and I wanted to help celebrate with them as they brought in a new family member.

This is not a baby quilt, but a quilt for a teenage girl who doesn't fit a typical teenage girl mold.  She has a very unique sense of style and I wanted to create something that would compliment her.  I discovered her favorite colors (purple, gray and red) and decided to use a simple rugby stripe.  I had been eyeing this zebra print at the fabric store for a while now, so I thought this was a perfect excuse to use it for the backing.  It helps bring some lively spirit into the quilt.  I machine quilted this quilt with horizontal lines that run parallel to the stripes and finished it off with a red patterned binding. All in all, it's a pretty simple quilt, but it's still perfect for curling up on the couch with a good book.





6 comments:

  1. Janet, you are one of the most amazing people I know, and I thank God for the blessing of your friendship. :-) G. stays curled up under that quilt, with her phone, if not a book, all the time! ;-) I can never express how much love I felt when I saw her take it out of the box, and I know she feels that love too. Thanks again for all your support, and for using your talents to bless SO many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, janet! that is perfect for a teenage girl with a strong sense of style. what a thoughtful gift for a new addition to a family no matter the age. very kind of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the rugby stripes, Janet! The zebra stripes with it look really cool too! I'm sure she will love it.

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool, I love the simple stripes and the zebra fabric. A great quilt for a great girl it sounds like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab quilt, and you're right about the importance of families in all shapes and sizes needing to be celebrated :o)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...