Monday, February 24, 2014

A productive weekend

I had a very productive weekend.  It started with piecing the second of the 2 Parson Gray quilts.


I tried to save some time by sewing the blocks on continuously to a long strip of fabric.  I still haven't decided if that saved me any time or not after trimming them all.  I also finger pressed my seams open, which definitely saved me some time while sewing. 


I also used the tape method instead of drawing all the lines on the fabric for diagonal lines for the corner squares...much quicker.


I trimmed up my blocks and saved those corner triangles.


I laid everything out on my design wall to figure out placement.


I really like how this one turned out.


Remember those tiny triangle scraps from trimming the corners?  Here's a fun mini-quilt made out of them.


Here are both quilts side by side.


Saturday evening, I found out that my college roommate had her baby 6 weeks early!  I was planning on starting on her baby quilt next week, but that got moved up for obvious reasons.  I finished the top yesterday and have the backing laid out ready to be pieced.  I need to finish this quilt and send it on it's way before I can finish the two quilts above.  I'll be working like a mad woman this week to complete this one.


I don't know if I've said this before, but I just LOVE the swoon pattern.


15 comments:

  1. The snowball/framed square pattern is intriguing. I can figure out the blocks in the pre-assembled picture. Once they're all together the lattice effect is very evident and the piecing is not so obvious. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of fun sewing! All of it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way a swoon block looks as a single block baby quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the snowball and framed square blocks together. Do you have the size of the pieces in a different post? In particular I'm wondering about the size of the squares used in the snowball corners.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have been busy and all 3 quilts look pretty good to me, I am sure the baby one will be well loved

    ReplyDelete
  6. My, you have been a busy gal!! You have come up with some lovely work there. Looks like another busy week for you. Happy stitching!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love swoon quilts and hope to be swooning soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your snowball quilt is neat and isn't it great to use the little leftover scraps for another project! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those birds in the swoon are a glorious addition! Looks lovely! And wowie! You have been such a busy bee. Love your time saving tip of finger pressing and sewing those seams open! Thanks for sharing! Congrats to the new mom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The birds are perfect for swoon. I've got snowball on my bucket list - it's such a simple design but so effective and I just love when a bonus quilt comes out of it like your HST. Nicely done and congrats to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, looks great! I always save those corners too:) So easy to turn into a HSt....I have a big pile for something, the mini quilt was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the use of the tiny scraps that is great to get the corners used. I have a bag of them from a quilt a year ago. I should make something similar.

    Richard and Tanya Quilts
    Richard and Tanya Quilts Patterns on Craftsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the swoon pattern too, and I love those fussy cut birds in the centre of them. Great use of scraps there in your mini as well. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the dark background in that quilt, and those are some tiny HST's! I'm so glad I got to see all of these in person!!

    Thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...